ADAMSROW, a village, in the parish of Newton, county of Edinburgh, containing 249 inhabitants. (From: A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1846), Samuel Lewis).
This photograph of Adamsrow was taken shortly before the Great War, probably on a Sunday, judging by the clothes. The "village", which was never more than a Miners' Row, was demolished during the construction of Monktonhall Colliery, in 1953, and Millerhill railway marshalling yards, in 1957.
Adamsrow was built around 1792, on the site of a small settlement known as Cuffabout.
Most of the surrounding villages were also mining communities. (Pits marked in red).
(This map reproduced by kind permission of Albert Russell http://www.hoodfamily.info/ )
The village was cut in two by the Edinburgh-Hawick Railway, in 1849.
Around 8 cottages were demolished.